Wednesday, October 12, 2005

To God Be The Glory!

I will get straight to the point.

I RECEIVED MY RESIDENCY VISA TODAY!

Truly, it is a miracle. The man ahead of me in line today makes his living by helping people get their residencies. He asked me if I either had a Costa Rican husband or child. When I said I had neither, he simply shook his head in wonder that I was about to receive my residency.

Today’s wait in Immigration makes another good, long story. I managed to choke back tears at a couple of points in the process today, but overall it was a much easier experience than last week’s. Shorter too – only three and a half hours!

One has to wonder why it should take over three hours – especially considering I was third in the “firma” (signature) line today!!

All told, I had to wait through five lines today. I hit the first one by 6:40AM to be in good position by the time they officially open - 8:00AM. Today the lines were smaller and well-organized. (Some people set up tents and camped for two nights to be in good position for Monday’s appointments!!) I was grateful for Woody’s idea to bring along a portable camp stool. I set it up in line and pulled out newsletters on my lap, using a paperback as my desktop to add personal notes to the letters.

Last week so many people called and complained to TV stations and newspapers after horrendous immigration experiences like my own. All week long the Ministry of Immigration has had LOTS of bad press! They have had to clean up their act a little, hoping to convince the TV cameras to leave them alone!

My first line wasn’t too discouraging. I was 20th in a line of about 100. I hit the second line at the infamous “Puerta Dos” (door number two). I was third in position, and I felt a surge of hope. They didn’t wait on us in order, but still, comparatively, the wait was short. The third line at window four wasn’t bad at all, and my hopes were higher still when they had me actually sign my residency card. The official told me they would call me to hand me the final copy. I’d barely sat down again, when she came looking for me.

“You are missing one deposit.”

No! It can’t be! I’ve made four deposits already!

She insisted. This one was for $2.

“But,” she said, “there is a bank right here, so it should be quick, and you can come right back to me for the final residency card.”

I headed to find the bank window.

I couldn’t believe my eyes! There were 50 people in the bank line!

I pulled out my camp stool again and began writing more letters. The line moved very slowly.

The deposit made, I headed back to window four, only to find that I could not speak to the official again without waiting through yet another line! (This is the point to choke back tears!)

I only was able to write two more letters before it was my turn. She took my deposit slip and headed to the back to get my card. When she returned, she didn’t hand me a card. Instead she addressed me with a stern reprimand.

“You were supposed to be here on the fifth of October! Why didn’t you come?”

I swallowed hard before kindly replying that I had spent all day there on the 5th. It took some convincing, but she returned to her supervisor and finally got the authority to hand me the coveted card.

Apparently, my residency was granted on September 17th. It expires in six months. That tempers my rejoicing a bit, knowing that I will have to return in April to begin the renewal process. But, I rejoice that I have the card and that you all have faithfully prayed for me during this process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for His faithfulness in providing our every need. I pray that in 6 months things will go much smoother and that things are much more organized.