Friday, November 18, 2005

Si, Carlos! Si!

Two weeks ago I left my friends at the Albernia nursing home with a heavy heart. I had spent time talking with Edgar, one of the wheelchair bound residents. He wants so much to study the Bible, but expressed that if he listens to Christian radio or music that there are negative repercussions from the staff. He also expressed a deep sense of loneliness. He told me that the only other Christian in the small home is Carlos - who is quite blind and nearly deaf.

Since that visit, I've been prayerfully considering how I might be able to minister to lonely people like Edgar and Carlos. Yesterday I visited my friends in the Albernia home again. I often shake Carlos' hand, but rarely have we been able to communicate because of his disabilities. Yesterday he was holding a small Gideon New Testament, open to Matthew chapter 4. I took his hand and gave him a big smile, pointing to the Bible.

He looked up and asked me, "Do you read the Bible?"

"Si, Carlos! Si!" I shouted, nodding my head enthusiastically and smiling.

Then, God answered my prayer. Carlos pointed at the bold letters at the top of the page and read carefully, "Mateo cuatro." He was able to read the bold, large print! He proceded to tell me about the temptation of Christ in Matthew chapter four. I was so, so happy, I hugged him and kissed him!

As I prayed this morning, the answer came to me. I am currently studying the temptation of Christ in my study of the life of Christ. I decided that each morning as I study, I will type up my notes and observations in Spanish in BOLD, LARGE TYPE.

I can't wait to print two copies of my notes - one for Edgar and one for Carlos! Meanwhile, my own personal study has taken on all that much more meaning, since I can share it with my elderly friends.

No comments: