Monday, May 11, 2009

Five Minute Residency Renewal!

Do you remember the hours and hours and days and days that I have spent at Immigration, trying to get my residency in Costa Rica? My last appointment was amazingly easy compared to previous years, but this year's experience takes the cake!

I was due this month for my annual visa renewal. But, our agenda is so full that I was totally dreading taking a day off to wait in line for a appointment. So, on a whim one evening I did some web research and came up with a toll number to call for appointments. I decided to give the number a try the next morning. After just one ring, a polite young man answered, identifying himself as "Alejandro, from the Department of Migration." I explained to him my desire for an appointment for residency visa renewal. He asked my name and ID number and put me on hold. After about a three minute hold, he returned to tell me that I have an appointment for June 24th, 2010.

"2010?!?" I replied. Yes, indeed. 2010. I told him that I'd heard that they were giving appointments just one to two months in advance.

Alejandro replied that if I wanted to go to the offices and wait in line for an appointment, I could get one within two weeks. But, my residency would remain valid until the 2010 appointment if I preferred.

I said to him, "Well, it only seems to make sense to not go, wait in line, and have to go through all the red tape of renewal when I can just go in 2010 and have a valid visa for another year meanwhile."

He said it was totally the most logical option. When he told me I would have a confirmation email shortly, I held my breath. Previously with Immigration, they refused to give any kind of documentation to prove that something was in process.

Within the hour I had a confirmation email. AMAZING! Thank You, Lord! (And thank you, too, Alejandro!)

No comments: