Saturday, January 20, 2007

Surpise Celestial Sleepover

Yesterday morning I was working on the computer at home when I received a panicky phone call from Lori’s neighbor. Wilma couldn’t get through on the office phone to Lori, so she asked me if Lori had house guests. As I was contacting Lori by Skype, Wilma called back to say, “It’s robbers! They are leaving with her TV!” I had her call the police, and Eric drove with Lori to her house. A small group of men evidently had forced the lock on her carport gate and broken down her front door in broad daylight. Fortunately, her losses total less than $1000. She will have to replace her passport and driver’s license. The police never came, though about 4 hours later a “judicial investigation team” showed up to look for fingerprints and write a report. Then Lori and her landlord had to go to the police station to file a report while workmen stayed behind to screw the door back together again.

In the afternoon I did a lot of phone calls for Lori. One of those calls was to the emergency number for the US Consulate. Inside each passport it says to call to report if your passport is lost or stolen. I first tried several phone numbers for the US consulate in Costa Rica, but either got answering machines or no answer. So, I decided to call their emergency number. A man answered the phone in English. He didn’t say, “Good afternoon! US Consulate.” He didn’t even say, “Hello.”

He answered the phone like this: “Yeah?”

I was a bit surprised and figured I must have the wrong number! But, I asked in English, “Is this the US Consulate?”

Yeah.”

It was an American accent. At this point I wasn’t sure if his vocabulary extended beyond this one word. “Yeah.”

Anyway, I explained the robbery and he said simply, “You don’t need to report it. She just has to replace it.”

Lori really wanted me to come over after Eric left in the early afternoon, but I was in the midst of an urgent ILF project - printing and sending 47 personal, signed, official ILF invitations for the IT Filipino leaders. I was on the phone for about an hour trying to decide between DHL and FedEx. (That is a story in and of itself!) The DHL messenger finally showed up at 6:30PM, freeing me to go join Lori at her house. Celeste was a welcome addition to the slumber party. The damaged front door may not have looked terribly secure, but the 115 pound dog was a nice deterrent to any further break-ins!

No comments: