Sunday, November 14, 2010

Seeing the Hand of God

As I prepared to dive into this intense period of time facing medical testing in Texas, I visualized God's huge hand and me stepping up to it, sitting down in His palm, and buckling up a seat belt. That's been a good image of what this time has meant for me. It hasn't been easy, but I've been firmly in His hand, and there is no better place to be.

Let me share a few ways that His hand has been so evident:
1) Last year I had a horrendous experience with a urologist in Costa Rica. My friend Debra wrote me from Texas and we discovered problems in common. She had found help after years of chronic issues, and recommended her urologist to me. God's hand was obvious in connecting Debra and me!
2) I could not easily get in to one of the top urologists in Texas. I wrote him a personal letter, and the door opened for me to see him during the time frame that worked best for me. Then, to add one more amazing element, he and I exchanged several emails in which he narrowed down my problem - before ever seeing me as a patient!
3) Meanwhile, I was trying to find a gynecologist with experience in an area not well understood by the medical profession. I came up with the name of a nationally recognized physician in Houston who not only heads the OB/Gyne program for Baylor Medical College, but is also heavily involved in research and teaching. I called to ask for an appointment. I was put on a long waiting list and told he rarely takes new patients. After two months on that list, I was told he still was not taking any patients and that I had best look for another option. Meanwhile, I had also written him a letter explaining my situation and the date that would best suit me, if he could possibly see me. Three days after being told it wouldn't be possible to see him, I got a call to give me an appointment for the very day I wanted!
4) Debra and her family were not only happy to host me during my time in Texas, but also to loan me their car for whatever I needed to do.
5) Upon arrival, the urologist was not only an excellent and kind physician, but also managed to pull strings to fit all my testing into a day and a half. (It took Debra two months to have the same testing done!) Even the doctor himself was amazed at how it all worked into peoples' schedules. One nurse volunteered to come in on her day off to oversee a test for me!
6)I was told I would need surgery, but would have to come back in 2011 because the surgical schedule was full. While headed to Houston to see the other physician, I got a call. "Can you come in for surgery tomorrow?"
7) Even more shocking, is that I replied, "Sorry, I can't have surgery tomorrow! I have an appointment in Houston. Can you make it Wednesday?" Who ever heard of the patient dictating to the surgeon when to do surgery that is being squeezed in?!? They said "Yes, come Wednesday."
8)I called Debra and asked if I might be able to stay on several extra days and if she could take me in on the day of surgery. Even though they were in the process of changing the carpet in her house that day, Debra took me in and spent the day with me! The carpet in my bedroom was changed as I was at the hospital and Bill had the guest bedroom all ready for my return!
9) Our health insurance only covers 80% after meeting the deductible. Though we've met our deductible, there is still a huge chunk of change to pay on the remaining 20% until a maximum out of pocket is met. A donor volunteered to cover a large part of our remaining out-of-pocket expenses. (We have yet to see if there will still be more to pay!)
10) Just as an added blessing and evidence that God was pampering me... my surgery was performed on my birthday. The hospital personnel made it a special day and the operating room crew sang happy birthday to me right before putting me to sleep.
10) Debra had a six month follow-up appointment scheduled with the urologist on Monday the 15th. She did not need to keep the appointment and almost canceled it a while back, but felt led to hold onto it longer. On Friday it was decided it would be best for me to go back in before traveling back to Costa Rica. I was actually able to take Debra's appointment. God scheduled it, I know! Who else would have guessed that I'd need an appointment on the morning of November 15, 2010?
11) Though Woody was unable to be with me during the unexpected surgery, during each step of my journey I've had someone put their arm around me and pray. Even the hospital admission clerk, after chatting with me and checking me in, asked, "Could I have my Bible study group pray for you this evening?" I have felt well-loved, even as I've been far away from loved ones!

Now, I sit here wondering if I will actually feel better once I get over the surgery and follow the medical advice I've been given. Should I doubt? Hasn't God's hand been VERY evident so far in this journey?

PS My big thanks to Brian and Stephanie, Jack and Karen, and Lu Ann and Ed, who have been stepping stones of faith in this journey! And, thank you, love of my life, for constant phone calls, love and encouragement!

1 comment:

Kathy Baxter said...

What an encouraging story. Thank you, Su, for sharing it. I'm so glad that you were loved and cared for.