Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Sparrow Named Colossus

Many of you wished me a very happy birthday yesterday, and I am moved by the love and compassion of so many dear friends. My birthday was scattered with bits of joy, but overall it was one of the most uncomfortable days of the year so far. I've slept 2 hours out of the past 24, but can't seem to get to sleep no matter what. I drove five hours from Houston to Dallas yesterday in order to have surgery in the afternoon. When finally back with my hosts, I ate a tiny bit after fasting for 25 hours. My husband and other family are all over 1000 miles away.

So, I breathe a feeble prayer and recruit my limited resources... "my strength is made perfect in weakness," God has said, and I can say "when I am weak then I am strong." As Vance Havner once said, "By that rule I should be a colossus right now, for I couldn't be much weaker."

On Sunday, I heard a marvelous special number at church - the classic I most associate with Ethel Waters and the Billy Graham crusades: "His Eye is on the Sparrow."

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


It puts a smile on my face in the midst of discomfort when I picture myself as God's sparrow, named Colossus!

No comments: